Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tausi Likolola Speaks To La Princessa!!!

This is one Interview that I just Had to do, She's one of those people who just smites you and I said, I will contact her I will and I did...And She's exactly what I thought she was...a kind, loving cooperative lil Angel!!
La Princessa:you were recently spotted you in 944’s Rock Style Fashion Show event in USA and I thought, This woman is fabulous but why has she been silent oh so long we definitely wanted to hear from you personally and not from any one of those Gossip Magazines and blogs!
You are one of Tanzania’s Finest Models out there (pat yourself on the back)Tell us about your Childhood
Tausi: Thank you for the compliment. I truly appreciate it coming from my people. I was raised in loving family, went to school in Tanzania and left for studies overseas after high school.

AS a Child Did you always dream of modelling or did you have other plans in mind and Modelling just came along?
Tausi: Truly those knows me growing up will tell you I was more of a doctor kind than someone drifted to fashion. I was quite and focused at school....always studying. It wasn't until I was in Europe that my height and bone structure attracted scouts. It took some efforts and encouragement for me to proceed in fashion industry...at first it was more to support my school and I never dreamed it will take over my whole life.

Fashion is your Duty, Dream, Or Hobby?
Tausi: I'd say I always loved fashion...wow...I could see it with my daughter. I loved dressed up and Sundays were my favor days while our grandmother dressed up for church with clothes she made herself.....she was quite a fashionista herself. Though I'm simple with fashion, you'll never spot me without a little sparkle of fashion....I'd say fashion is my duty.

Was it Hard for you to Break into the modelling industry when you started out?
Tausi: Yes...I started in Germany where models like myself are only for very specific jobs. On top of that blacks especially Africans are mostly stereotyped in certain way expected to take everything given to them....Never like that with me. I mostly rely on my faith for directions and always have higher expectations to what I give or get....same way in fashion, I was selective....that made it even harder. But again success has different meaning to different individuals.

Were there any hardships or comparisons? Many Top models have been subject to comparisons, Tyra used to get compared to Naomi Campbell which caused quite a stir later on.
Tausi: Funny you mentioned that...I remember this one time I was booked for Issey Miyake and expected as African to almost look as Alek Wek...so they tried some paintings. I'm laughing but that is fashion industry and people have to learn that Africa has million faces and so is each individual models, doctors, lawyers, farmers or anyone elsewhere on Earth.


You have Worked with Big names in the Fashion Industry, Escada, Gucci, Tommy Hilfiger Christian Dior..What is the one thing you have noticed from Big Designers that you think would really help the emerging African Designers out there.
Tausi: Drive and focus....this people breath fashion and meditate on their visions for each and everything they work on. It is almost crazy at times on how focused they are....but again they deliver. To succeed in any career one need right drive, focus, determination and never to give up...one day they will see your product and listen to you. I think Africa is now coming forward day after day....we are born with culture, it just takes more efforts and determination to show the individualism of African styles.

Have you ever thought of Retiring As a model, and if you have, What would you do After Retiring?
Tausi: Once a model always a model! I actually retired some four years ago....but never completely absent to some clients and some opportunities. I'm not as active anymore but I still peek and will probably always do one or other thing in fashion....might be a line of cosmetic, boutiques, beauty books etc.....Over the past four years I have been mostly focusing on my small children but also have been publishing books, appearing on special projects, hosting workshops for young-girls etc.

You wrote a Book  called ‘Touch of an Angel’ I read it and was ‘touched’ you are very good writer, but for those who haven’t read it, Tell us about it.
Tausi: "The Touch of an Angel" is very different from my other books. I wrote it as a healing process after loosing my first born. It was a hard time for me, and I express my emotions better in writings. It is a private book and less commercial but I knew it will touch and help someone.

 
Are you planning on writing any other books, should we brace ourselves for Tausi The Author?
Tausi: I'm always writing! Current three including a cook book, novel and children's story....yes certainly its my prayer to release more books.


I love people who really give back to the community, when I heard about Tausi Aids Fund I was mighty proud. Tell Us About what gave you that push to start that organization and how it is going about so far.
 Tausi:HIV/AIDS is somehow every body's problem at home. Same with me, I saw the destruction, devastation and hurt caused with it and decided to help as much as I can. I haven't been as active the past two years but certainly continue on helping as much as I can even if it means telling others to get involved on the cause....we  all can make a difference.

Have You got Recognition  or Participation From any other International Organizations To help you achieve your goals or tasks or is it mainly run by your team and you.
Tausi: Actually it is mostly with my own people that I thanked energy and love....never dreamed of recognition as a person.....though the respect my people gave me helped to open more doors internationally for me to knock and get more help.

I Read somewhere that you are Married, Are You comfortable to tell us about that lucky man?
Tausi: Mhhhh...very interesting...over the past years lots of reporters knocked on my bedroom door...I'd keep it shut for now....smiling!

Hi hi Hii..I really thought I'd get away with it!!

Tell us about your Children! We would love to get to know them as well!
Tausi: I blush just to think of my kids, my greatest blessings. They are my joy, they are the reason I smile and cry...Imani is the big-boy and Neema is the minnie me.

You’re always very open about your Faith and Religion, one thing that some models are mum on.Tell us about how your Faith Shaped you in the Rough Industry.
Tausi: Without faith and Christ, I'd have lost it. I've wandered my way but always came home. I believe as long as I live in this world, I'll always have different moments and faith is the only thing I can 100% depend on to be whole and complete.

Everyone is dying to know, What you’ve Recently been upto, do update us Miss Likokola! What has been keeping you busy?
Tausi: Babies, babies and babies....Of course adding family, friends, few red-carpets, few projects, bit fashion, books....and quite time for growth.

What is your take on African Prints, African Motifs recent burst into the European Designs or European Fashion Industry to be specific, If you’ve looked closer at last year and this years designs  many Big names out there seem to be ‘African Inspired’ in most of their Designs and dozens of Celebrities sporting African Designs.
Tausi: After living so far in all continents, it gave me more respect for my own continent....we have been blessed with rich culture....something which is almost lost in some areas. I believe people realize that Africa is the heart of art and culture....well.. fashion includes what we already have for centuries....they notice that more and more.

Modelling is a booming Career in Tanzania, South Africa,Nigeria… many African Countries, long time ago, it wasn’t accepted as a ‘Career’ but now it is, What advice would you give to young girls who look upto you and want venture into this ‘modelling world’
Tausi: I am a proud big sister....I see them blossoming like flowers...beautiful girls with character and culture....they should never loose that because that is what is missing in fashion world....have principles and character. They should embrace that they are unique in many ways....take one step a day....keep moving forward knowing rejection is a climbing block to another opportunity.

Thank You and Good Luck… Stay blessed For always!

No comments:

Post a Comment