Monday, January 31, 2011

More about Mzungu Kichaa


Ran into this interview of Mzungu Kichaa on Jamati, just last week he was Danish TV talking about his Documentary Black Business...Read on more about the 'Crazy White Guy'=Mzungu kichaa
Jamati Online: How did you end up performing music in Tanzania?
I grew up in Zambia listening to the likes of Kanda Bongo Man, Bundu Boys and Thomas Mapfumo. When I moved to Tanzania with my parents as a 15 year old, I really started developing a love for the local music scene and started to fuse the sounds of Jimi Hendrix with the local sounds, which were dominated by Congolese music at the time. As time passed, in around 96, there were a group of youth, who started experimenting with hiphop. I got involved and since then I have been part of this scene. My big breakthrough was when I recorded and produced Mambo ya Pwani with Solo Thang in Bongo Records. I also appeared on a couple of other tracks such as ‘Mangwaire’s Girl’,‘She Gata Gwan’ and some of Juma Nature’s songs. But it was only in 2009 when I recorded ‘Jitolee‘ ft. Professor Jay and Mwasiti, which later became part of my Kiswahili album, ‘Tuko Pamoja‘, that things really started to take shape.
Jamati Online: You perform in Kiswahili. What was the reason for choosing to do so?
I chose to release my debut album in Kiswahili, even though I also compose many songs in English, because, I wanted to show my skills and knowledge of the Tanzanian scene by creating something unique that represented my history and involvement with Tanzanian music. I also decided not to be driven by commercial factors. I had no expectations of the album in terms of success or sales. I wasn’t concerned about any of that, I just wanted to create. Thankfully the album has been very well received the world over which shows that it pays to follow your heart and do what you want to do and not what the industry expects you to do.


Jamati Online: How would you describe the music scene in Tanzania? Do you think it has a good chance of being popular in the western world?
The Tanzanian scene is very vibrant. I think that with the right management and direction Tanzanian music can definitely go very far in the western world. This is what I am trying to influence through my label, Caravan Records and through my music in general. It has to be unique and at the same time be of high quality.
Jamati Online: Tell us about your latest projects.
I have done a big tune with Juma Nature and Karen Mukupa. I am sure you all know Juma Nature, but Karen Mukupa is a very respected artist from Denmark. She is originally Zambian but also grew up in Tanzania. Her love for Tanzania and Tanzanian music is one of the main reasons she agreed to join us on this track, which is called ‘Together as One’. Its an anthem for the new year which calls for unity. I believe it has a very powerful message. I am also working on my second album which will be broader than the first one and will include, reggae, old school rumba and also some English songs. One of the songs is called ‘Nairobi’, which is a very conscious track.
Jamati Online: How have you and your music been received in Africa overall, and abroad? Do other African countries play your music often?
I would say that my music has been received well overall. At my concerts in Europe you see a big mix of African from all over the continent mixed with a very international mix of Europeans. At these concerts, 80% of my songs are in Kiswahili, but the audience still responds very well. At the end of the day music is a universal language and most people can feel you even if they don’t necessarily understand what you are saying. If the music has energy and power, people will respond. I know that I have fans in Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Angola and South Africa. This year I will perform in South Africa which I am really looking forward to. But I also want to spend more time in Kenya and perform and collaborate with artists here.
source.Jamati

No comments:

Post a Comment