Saturday, July 24, 2010

Is Tanzania Ready For a Woman President?

 The opposition Jahazi Asilia party has endorsed Jamila Abeid Saleh as its flag bearer in the Zanzibar presidential elections scheduled for October, this year. And I'm qite impressed I must say, Its the first time in Tanzania a woman even ran for president, Jamila should know she's making history, and I'm quite impressed, coz even if she wins or not it will still remain. She's the first female Presidential Candidate.

Jamila Saleh said she had decided to contest for the post so she could bring political and economic changes to the people of Unguja and Pemba.She said if elected she would bring great changes by beefing up health and education sectors because they are the foundation for people's meaningful development.
Saleh said the education sector in Zanzibar was faced with a number of challenges including shortage of desks and teachers which contributed to poor academic performance by students.
“If you elect me I will make sure that the ratio between teachers and students is 35 pupils per teacher.
She further said that health services in Zanzibar had deteriorated, especially in health centres and rural hospitals.
  I hope these aren't empty promises like her Male counterparts, I really do hope she's for real and I would love to see her win Zanzibar elections just to see how much change she can bring that the Male who occupied the position before her couldn't.
Jahazi Asilia is the first political party to nominate a woman candidate to contest for the presidency in Zanzibar, I'm gonna be honest with you, hata sikujua kwamba kuna chama kinaitwa Jahazi! but they rili caught my eye on this one. This is what ' kuinua wanawake,' is all about taking big steps, we live in such a male-dominated country that i couldn't even imagine chama chochote kitaweza ku-bring forth a woman to run for President. coz no matter how they claim its women's time to shine, to verge into politics, they still think us weak and sometimes i think some women are pushed into parliamentary seats  for show. But My main view...WE CAN DO IT! Today Zanzibar, tomorrow the whole of Tanzania.

No comments:

Post a Comment