Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Black face, What everyone is saying....

Seems the Black face is still causing alotta controversy, but how a black face was painted on Beyonce to honor Fela Kuti is beyond me, why she agreed to doin it, was another thing....
Opinions for different sides...
The French are saying
To celebrate this anniversary, the festivities start with the March issue, with BeyoncĂ© on the cover. The star agreed to pose for an incredible fashion shoot, with the theme of African Queen, paying a tribute to the legendary Fela Kuti (Nigerian political singer who died in 1997).. A return to her African roots, as you can see on the picture, on which her face was voluntarily darkened.....The  magazine defends its position by saying it’s a return to the singer’s African roots.
The   Personal Opinion of a Blogger Annie 
Just last week Beyonce was accused of skin bleaching, now she paints her face black and you're insulted? Whats the big deal with painting a black face? so many people have done it before, I dont think she should be blamed for anything and I dont see how she offended the whole 'Black race'
From Celebitchy
Like Beyonce would be photographed with her skin involuntarily darkened? I guess this could be construed as Beyonce’s answer to the constant criticism her magazine and advertising photo shoots get - that the pros always Photoshop her skin to be much lighter than her already light, natural skin color. Beyonce can now say “Hey, I did one photo shoot where I VOLUNTARILY made my skin darker. Ya dig?”

On another note... From Chicago Now
Blackface by definition and historical context is very negative towards black people.


The Nigerians are saying...( from Nigerian Blogger Illuluonline)
First let me say that I love Beyonce but as a Nigerian and someone who lived there for a bit when Fela was still alive this is not a tribute to him.If this were a Martin Luther King tribute would she have painted her face black? In Nigeria we have all shades of black so I’m not really sure how this is a tribute to Fela.
And I don’t even see how the clothes factor into the tribute. The only thing close to anything I’ve seen my mom wear or that I wore as a kid is the headress and even then it’s not tied properly.
It’s as if what the magazine considers “African” is someone with the darkest skin possible and as someone of Nigerian heritage it’s beyond offensive; It’s downright hurtful to see these stereotypes perpetuated.I don’t even blame Beyonce for this shoot because I stopped expecting much from artists years ago and besides a lot of them don’t see beyond dollar signs.Africa is a rich and diverse continent and Fela was one of its greatest ambassadors and exports and I didn’t even realize how big of an impact he had until I moved back over to North America as an adult.To listen to his music, to see his performances, and listen to elders tell stories about him still doesn’t encapsulate everything he meant to the country.He was our freedom fighter and yes he was a womanizer and a flawed man and I disliked that about him but I hate the fact that an important part of my heritage is being basterdized just to sell magazines.
When the shoot comes out I’m sure we’ll all post it and oooh and ahhh over it and move on but make no mistake: this IS NOT a tribute to Olufela Olusegun Oludotun Ransome-Kuti
I'm saying, 
there were lots of things they would have done to pay tribute to Fela, black face, not the best idea, anyway...Screw this..lets have tea...btw ...on  more important news, Zimbabweans tried to pull an 'Egypt' an Mugabe, failed miserable..

See Tonya view of the black face here

No comments:

Post a Comment