Monday, June 21, 2010

Wanuri Kahiu on Italian Vogue!!!

Wanuri Kahi, I'm fascinated with her work and I'm inlove with the fact that her work as an African  female film director got recogniton at the Cannes Film Festival, There are so many African films out there that are either not of class, never accredited and so many African  directors that produce films that just dont cling at all. For her to do such and break barriers its just phenomenal...She was Awarded as Best Director for Africa's version of the Oscars, in Cannes, her short film earned her the prize among independent films.
 She shares her 2 cents on Vogue Italian..i could just quote her every line!

Style
"Fashion for me is how you feel inside and what is reflected on the outside. So how you move is style and fashionable, it doesn't have to be something that's in season, it's just what really makes you look the best and feel the best."
Zoom
"I think I'm the black sheep in the family: my mother is a doctor, my father is a business man, they are more conservative in a particular way. But on the other hand, I have an aunt who's a very famous actress in Kenya, and I have a uncle who's a scupltor, so maybe some of that came into me and that's why I'm able to be creative."
The career
"I always used to create stories. I've always like writing, reading. Those kinds of things were fascinating me and later on, at 16, I decided to become a filmaker but in Kenya it was illogical and irrealistic. So my parents wanted me to have a science degree in the University of Warwick in UK but, later on, I earned my postgraduate in directing at the School of Film and Television at the University of California, Los Angeles."

Wanuri worked on movies like the hollywood Italian Job and Catch a Fire directed by Phillip Noyce: "The person who influenced me was Phillip Noyce. He ispired me and in that film I really learned more than in any film school and I realized what means to work with actors and directing It was my really first training."
Wanuri's first movie was From a Whisper, a powerful drama which wons The Best Director at the African Oscar. Her last short movie is Pumzi, an eco-sci-fi and post-apocalyptic film in which water scarcity has extinguished life all over the world. Pumzi won the Independent Movie Awards at Cannes Film Festival. Wanuri is considered the new african Kathryn Bigelow.
In private
"When I'm at home, especially in Mombasa, I wear lightweight, comfortable clothes becouse is so hot and humid. On set it's just trousers or shirts and t-shirts designed by people from home."

Public style
"When I go to film festivals, I'm more dressed up, I'm more formal, more stylish."
Fashion tip
"My fashion tip is to be comfortable, it's the only way to be yourself. So be comfortable and you'll be stylish."
Style Icons
"I hate style icons, because fashion is such an individual thing."
Favourite designers
"Recently Zigfreda, they have a beautiful collection of clothes, which are hand painted and usually in silk. And you feel so creative and playful and loving."
Favourite city
"I live between Nairobi and Mombasa becouse Mombasa is right by the beach, it's so beautiful and the beach are white, glamorous, amazing and quite. But I also need the citylife and Nairobi it's really the heart of Kenya where everything happens. My office is in the heart of the city center and the citysight is remarkable."
Shopping
"Shopping in Nairobi is really interesting, there are very small areas where you can go shopping. But everytime I leave Kenya to go to other African citiziens, I always buy material. I've bought clothes in Camerun I've bought jewellery in Mali. They are so beautiful and authentic you can't find anything else like these."
Shoes
"I prefer to wear heels most times, because they make me feel so grown up."
Favourite food
"I love desserts."
Favourite music"I'm completely inspired by music, I think in past a life I was married to music. I'm inspired by differente type of music, by reggae, jazz, african hip hop and R&B and a new mix of music coming out of Kenya."
Cinema icons
"Lars von Trier inspired me becouse of his dogma style and his passionate and emotional stories. Recently I just discovered a woman director, she's one of my favourites, a Spanish director named Isabel Coixet, I'm in awe of that woman."

Beauty
"Beauty is on the inside, you have the all universe inside of you and if you look deep inside yourself, you'll find perfection."
She said
"A woman shouldn't leave home without eye makeup, even before your clothes, they notice your eyes."
Healthy habits
"Being on the beach, having dinner on the beach, playing music on the beach, anything that has to do with the beach at night with a full moon."
Unhealthy habits
"Eating desserts, I like to eat lot and lot of desserts"
She loves
"I love to wear local designers and also mix it up with clothes I've found from little boutiques from other countries."
She hates
"Bottles of water really annoy me, more than anything else because it takes more water to make the bottle than the water inside of the bottle. It's ridicoulous."
She's obsessed
"I like to be in a creative space, so i like to sorround myself with other people who are creative, musicians, designers. People who empower me and motivate me. I love to live in a creative bubble."


The future
"I'm very hopeful about the future, but knowing that I make a difference myself. I believe that people can plant trees and should conserve, recycle and and re-use things. We have to be careful and sensitive, like in my film Pumzi we have to be the mother of mother nature and if we are not mother of mother nature than mother nature will stop mothering us."
Vogue loved her because
She's eco-green addicted, environmentally responsible, creative by nature. And she's proud to be an African indie female director.

No comments:

Post a Comment