Sunday, August 1, 2010

South African 'Ghetto Ballet 'Dancer gets Full Scholarship to Atlanta Ballet's Center

 Have you heard of the "Ghetto Ballet" documentary? Its a documentary about the lives of four young ballet dancers living in one of the poorest towns on the outskirts of Cape Town, South Africa.The film shows the dancers vying for two coveted spots in a local dance company that could be their ticket out of poverty.
The film's director, Jeremy Simmons, says he felt compelled to tell their story. "The kids were amazing," he said."I knew after that first day that these kids would speak to a broader audience. They had incredible personalities; they were so open and honest and talented. I was blown away."

Sibhale Tshibika

One of the four dancers featured in the movie was Sibahle Tshibika. In the film, she is seen failing to make the cut for the dance company,the end of her dream, or so she thought.
 Sibahle Tshibika, ballet dancer"I was hurt, and I thought that was the end of me," Tshibika she said. "I was so hurt inside and I thought I would never be able to be a dancer again."
A scene from Ghetto Ballet

Lucky Sibhale, the film was recently screened on the HBO channel in the United States and viewer Rosemary Ringer was so moved by Tshibika's plight, she wrote to her local ballet company asking them to take up Tshibika's cause."After watching it, I was so overwhelmed by the circumstances of the dancer, Sibahle, and the environment she was raised in," Ringer said.
Vuyelwa and Sibhale...stars of Ghetto Ballet

"She lived in the shanties, the poverty-stricken shanties, but she had a desire far beyond the reach of her environment."I felt compelled to e-mail Atlanta Ballet and expressed to them that if they could be so kind, would they please outreach to Sibahle and the producer and bring her to the United States."That email prompted Sharon Story, the head of the Atlanta Ballet's Center for Dancers, to watch "Ghetto Ballet." After seeing the documentary, she offered Tshibika a full scholarship.
"I watched it and I knew immediately that I wanted to invite Sibahle to Atlanta for the summer for our summer program,She has so much passion and so much spirit and determination that I wanted to give her another opportunity."

And After hearing this, I'm now making my own documentary...'Little Jackie: The Passionate Writer' dont laugh, I'm trying my luck....I might be the next big thing lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment