Monday, April 18, 2011

With Pinky...

You know the thing about  us women..we always have issues with our bodies, with our faces, with our hair, everything! Is it wrong to turn to a few enhancers?....is it cheating beauty?certainly not!...not many women will admit to it, yes I've met many women who've done big beauty procedures but mouths shut tight...but Kenyan Media Personality Pinky Ghelani is not 'Many Women' her little innocent enhancer wasnt something she'd shy away from...  Hear her story of it...


A couple of weeks ago the contribution to my cousins blog was posted. It was so much fun reading all the comments and getting the feedback from our friends and family. Naina, my cousin, thought it would be fun to have me write a bit for her blog (as I will get her to contribute to mine) and seeing that I was very free at the time (baby had not yet been born) I agreed. I totally enjoyed it and seeing my stuff up on her blog was super cool! 

Anyway, last week the press called me in regards to the same blog. I was asked about the 'butt enhancers', or as I like to call them, ass pads. Here is what I had to say about them. The article called for me to write about my top 5 wardrobe essentials, I listed shoes, shades, dark blue jeans, lounge wear and butt enhancers. "Don’t laugh. For a first meeting I am probably sharing too much information, but I was not gifted with a Kim Kardashian ass. Don’t get me wrong, I have tried to get one by putting the hours in the gym, but it has never worked for me. Even during my pregnancy I was assured by all my gal pals that the posterior would grow, unfortunately I got nothing down there. So I invested in a nice pair of underwear with padding. Trust me it got the heads turning. In my line of business people look at the way you look all the time, so I said to myself that instead of getting the butt surgically enhanced, here is a more simple, yet stylish way to do it, without going under the knife" 

The lady who called me was surprised that I would admit to something like this. To be honest, I find it no big deal. I have been in the media for a while now and I have heard the whispers when I walk by that I am posterior deprived and there really is nothing I can do about it. My mother tells me I inherited from my dad, seeing as he passed away when I was 6 years old, I am darned proud of the flatness of it. Still, it never stopped her, or any other members of my family of making fun of how flat it is. I never took it personally and till date love the fact that its not a round bum. Like I said, I have tried the squats, the lunges, the uphill trek on the treadmill, all these have toned the ass, but never given it any real shape. 

I always used to put it down to the fact that most muhindis (Kiswahili for Indian) are flat on the backside. Of course I stood corrected last week when I saw a pretty petite girl with a well rounded behind. I could have rested my mug of chai (Kiswahili for tea) on it. I have to admit, I was staring for a while and perhaps enviously so. I hope no one caught me looking, that would start a whole new set of rumours! 

I rememeber when I was on radio with Italia Masiero, she would always make fun of my bum, even on the air. My husband, Raj, knows that he can mock the behind and not get a reaction out of me, if anything, I laugh with him. The fact is, I am not in denial, I work in a field where the body matters, I look at my good points and my bad points and just accept my body for what it is. When I was preggers and did my photo session with Barbra Minishi, I tried to do the Demi Moore style poses - what she did for vanity fair when she posed naked for the cover. I loved the photos, until I saw the one where I had turned to the side...oh dear, if only I could have worn the 'butt enhancers' there too!!> 



Truth be told, we live in the day and age where beauty can be bought; fake nails, fake hair, fake eyelashes, spanx, padded bras, fake tans, contact lenses, etc. Come to think of it, you can even airbrush on a six pack! So why make such a big deal about butt enhancers! Like I said, much better than going under the knife (although, Brazil is on my list of countries to visit, who knows what may happen there!) and they work, the jeans look amazing when the cheeks are enhanced.





By By Pinky Ghelani-Raj
                               Visit her blog In the Pink to read more of her motivational, funny and interesting writings

No comments:

Post a Comment